Grapes and Raisins are toxic to dogs and, in some cases, can cause fatal renal failure (kidney failure). Because there is no established safe dose of grapes or raisins, we recommend bringing the patient into the emergency room for an examination.
Our emergency room doctors are here 24/7 and You Do Not need an appointment to bring your pet into our ER.
- Grapes and raisins can cause kidney failure which can be fatal and there is no established safe dose.
- Signs of toxicity are not always immediately visible.
- Rapidly treating the patient can influence the outcome.
What if only 1 grape or raisin was ingested?
- The ASPCA Poison Control states that there is no established minimum safe dosage of grape or raisin ingestion in dogs and recommends treatment for all ingestions, even if only 1 grape or raisin was ingested.
- Each animal may react differently to the same dose of raisins or grapes.
What if it’s been hours since the ingestion?
Though patients should be seen immediately for the best outcome, the digestion of raisins and grapes in a dog’s stomach can be relatively slow. Please seek medical attention for you pet as soon as you know the ingestion has happened.
What if a cat or ferret has ingested grapes or raisins?
Please call the ASPCA PCC. There are anecdotal reports of grape and raisin toxicities in cats and ferrets.
What types of treatments may occur in the ER?
The doctor will evaluate each patient and determine the appropriate treatments for that specific patient. Some possible treatments may include gastric decontamination (usually thru vomit induction), activated charcoal, diuresis (IV fluid administration), & more.
What types of clinical signs may I see?
Some clinical signs may include vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, anorexia, abdominal pain, weakness, dehydration, polydipsia (increased thirst) & tremors/shivering.
Do not wait until you see physical signs of toxicity. Waiting can negatively influence the patient’s prognosis.